SED-444 Assignment Explanations & Samples
The syllabus is not always easy to understand so I created this page with explanations and samples. As a reminder, please refer to rubrics before beginning your assignment, as all assignments are graded using those. If I haven’t addressed your question or concerns here, please call or send me a message Thanks!
Topic 1: Theories of Instructional Design and Strategies
Many students ask how they should organize and complete their matrix. To begin with chances are you will not find anything for the developmental perspective. The more common term is constructivism. Be sure and view my power point in the Instructor Add-Ons and the resources on the SED 444 webpage to help you get started with your research.
Helpful websites -
EXAMPLE TO SET UP YOUR MATRIX
Instructional Design Models
Name of Design Model
*Next chart explains each strategy
Dick and Carey Model (1978)
By Walter Dick and Lou Carey
The Dick and Carey Model states there is a known connection between the initiating factor and the result. The instructor must determine the skills the learner needs to master for the behavior to be learned, as well as, determine the stimuli and strategy for instruction to obtain the skills (Implications, n.d.).
The steps of the Dick and Carey model are as follows:
1. Decide learning outcome
2. Examine the instructional goal
3. Evaluate learners and contexts
4. Design performance goals
5. Create assessment tools
6. Develop teaching strategy
7. Develop and select teaching materials
8. Construct and perform formative evaluations
9. Modify instruction
10. Summative evaluation
(Implications, n.d., para. 3).
Both formative and summative assessments can be used with the Dick and Carey Model.
During formative evaluations, the instructor can gather information on what materials or instruction needs improvement. Summative assessments will give the overview of student learning.
Behavioral models use assessments to evaluate measurable and observable behavior and performance (Instructional Design Models, n.d.).
In behavioral models, such as Dick and Carey the best instructional methods include the following:
· Direct Instruction
· Questioning Strategies
(Instructional Design Models, n.d.).
Topic 2: Supporting Student Development through Assessment
This is an excellent assignment for everyone to get comfortable with their State’s Standards Website. You want to choose three different standards from three different content areas. The content areas don’t need to be necessarily your focus. The practice is for you to take any standard and create an objective and then an assessment. I will be focused on whether you are able to align the objective and assessment with the standard. Be sure to view the links on the SED 444 webpage under assessment to help you with alignment.
The directions ask for 3-5 peer-reviewed articles from the GCU eLibrary. For help using the GCU eLibrary, please visit this page You’ll also find several resources in the Instructor Add-Ons APA Style, citations & avoiding plagiarism.
I think this sample paper will help you
Topic 3: Higher Order Thinking and Diverse Students
I highly recommend everyone take your time on this assignment because if done right you can use this to build upon for the week 8 assignment. You are going to make a unit plan which should be done prior to any lesson plans. Unit planning can seem like a daunting task for beginning teachers but is an important part of the teaching and learning process. Many beginning teachers know that planning is important but may not fully understand why. Please view the Power Point as I think it will provide some explanations for you.
Topic 4: Lesson Planning with Authentic Assessment
1. Create three lesson plans for the curriculum unit you created in Topic 3. Be sure to use the EEI template found on the Instructor Add—Ons. You can do lesson plans for day 1, 2 and 3 to use for your week 8 project.
2. Use data driven formative and summative assessment instruments to determine the learning needs by administering your assessments to a group of students prior to creating the lesson plans. For day 1 lesson plan provide a pre-test which can be your summative assessment so you can compare scores and use the data. If your unit will have a project for the final a rubric can be used as the summative, however, I would have a simple pretest to determine the student’s prior knowledge.
3. Include the data and analysis of objectives to be measured. With the objective of: Students will learn and comprehend the meaning of vocabulary words from “The Tale-Tell Heart,” and demonstrate their comprehension of them on a vocabulary homework sheet with fewer than 3 mistakes. The analysis is the comprehension of vocabulary words from the story and the data is less than 3 mistakes.
4. Create both formative and summative assessment instruments. What you complete above will be appropriate.
5. Reflect on and explain how the assessments support the intellectual, social, and physical development of the learners. Refer to the Power Point in Topic 3 as there are resources and definitions of how assessments support the intellectual, social and physical development.
Topic 5: Practicum I Observation and Aligning Curriculum with Assessment
Refer to the Practicum Announcement in Loud Cloud and the Benchmark Assessment to ensure you are observing the correct grade level and type of school. Any exception must be approved by me as observation hours are assessed by GCU College of Education. Please include the date of observation, school, grade level and teacher(s) observed. In your reflection I am looking for the approach to the various teaching pedagogy, the effects of curriculum trends on teaching strategies, issues and implementation. Considering this class is called Secondary Methods and Data Driven Pedagogy be sure to ask your mentor teacher how they collect and use data to drive their instruction. Also ask if you can see their curriculum units, lesson plans and assessments.
Aligning Curriculum with Assessment has three parts.
1. The first part is additional practice for you to demonstrate higher order thinking is increased for each grade level. Take one of your standards in your Topic 3 unit and develop 3-5 measurable objectives for 7th, 8th and 9th grade levels. The key is to raise the action words from a Bloom’s verb chart found on the SED 444 webpage or instructor Add-Ons.
2. The second part is to provide a NRT and a CRT type of assessments that align to your standard. It is difficult to find a NRT online as they are protected assessments. I suggest looking at the Practice SAT and find some questions that align to your standard As for a CRT you can easily find a test or rubric online for any content area and you may get additional ideas for your summative assessment. Be sure to cite your sources to give credit where credit is deserved.
3. The third part of this assignment is to compare and contrast the difference between a NRT and a CRT type of test. This sample paper will provide resources to help you research these types of tests
Topic 6: Lesson Planning Focused on Assessment
Practicum Observation II is due. Please be sure to respond to my feedback from the first observation.
This assignment is asking you to create a mini unit from your Topic 5 assignment. Considering you already have a 6-day unit plan and three lesson plans I encourage you to create the next three lesson plans that can be used for your week 8 assignment. I also encourage you to add four more days to your unit plan so you will have a completed 10 day curriculum unit. This also a good time to put together your summative assessment or rubric so I can provide feedback prior to week 8. I want to see a variety of formative assessments in your EEI lesson plans.
You are also asked to teach your lesson plans to a group of students. This can be your kids, the neighbors down the street or if you are so lucky to have a mentor teacher to allow this. If you are having difficulty coming up with some kids please give me a call as I have other options for you.
Topic 7: Creating Engaging Lessons with Measurable Outcomes
Practicum Observation III is due. Please be sure to respond to my feedback from the first observation.
This assignment is giving you the opportunity to adapt your lesson plans to real IEPs. I provided three IEPs in the announcements that came from San Carlos where I used to teach. You want to take # 1 IEP and update a lesson plan, then take # 2 IEP and update another lesson plan and do the same with #3 IEP. Please make any updates/changes in red font so I can easily see.
Review the SED 444 webpage on modifications and accommodations. You will also find information on holistic rubrics. To show that I am following the IEP goals I like to enhance the differentiated instructional section of the lesson plan. One thing I must remind you about is FERPA, meaning that lesson plans cannot speak of specific students. I always kept a substitute file on my desk with a seating chart, group chart with named roles and a job list of students. On my student job list I generally list the hyper students as class leader to run my power point, sit at my desk, clean the board or help me with general tasks. The following should give you some ideas:
Teacher will use prior knowledge about evidence-based claims, as well as, visual methods to build evidence-based arguments
- Preferential seating in front of classroom (see seating chart on desk)
- Have students pass out/collect brainstorm webs. (see list on desk)
- Give students extra time to develop position (see list on desk)
- Monitor students’ individual work frequently (see list on desk)
Students will complete their own graphic organizer (brainstorm web) using at least three immigration laws and policies using the brainstorm list or information they obtained during their independent research.
- Give individual help with brainstorm web to students (see list on desk)
- Monitor individual work frequently as students search for Immigration laws and polices (see list on desk)
- Preferential seating in front of classroom (see list on desk)
- Have students pass out/collect brainstorm webs (see list on desk)
- Monitor students’ individual work frequently (see list on desk)
You don’t need a list for this assignment, however, when you do make your lists/charts you need to make sure ALL students are on your list as to not single out any students. When you start student teaching I recommend you find out from your cooperating teacher who has an IEP or 504 plan and how you need to address accommodations/on the lesson.
Topic 8: Benchmark - Effective Pedagogy: Best Practices
There are three parts to your benchmark assessment. Be sure to follow everything on the Benchmark Assessment located on the Instructor Add-Ons as I added notes of explanations.
Part I: The reflection essay (1,000-1,250) should identify, analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of strategies the mentors used to support classroom learning. Reflect on the aspect of the strategies used that were challenging to facilitate, most effective elements of the strategy to student learning Include your recommendations on the weak strategies to justify the strengths. Reference strategies from research and coursework. Also include feedback from the mentor on your unit plan.
Part II: Design a complete instructional unit, 10 EEI lesson plans, in your subject area using your state standards. Revise the feedback I’ve provided throughout the course. Use the following checklist to make sure you have included everything:
ü Measurable objectives
ü Rationale should include a course, unit and student description.
ü Activities should be varied instructional strategies as discussed in class.
ü Materials should include graphic organizers, websites, name of text/novel. When making your lesson plans think of a substitute following for your class.
ü Formative and summative assessments should include a pre-test, varied formative assessments and your summative assessment should include various types of questions (i.e., multiple choice, fill in the blanks, matching).
ü Complete rubric if the summative assessment is project based.
Part III: Attach your log sheets in Task Stream. Please prepare your unit plan in ONE DOCUMENT for
submission. This assignment needs to be submitted to both Loud Cloud
*To see a sample benchmark submission, open up